Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JRockland's 3D Printer / CNC frame
Im had been working on a commercial grade 3d printer / CNC frame for about 8 month, and she as been running for the past 2.

The reason Im posting it here is because in your video you are talking about issue with powder layers...

This printer had been built to be able to lift and move a massive amount of weight, and it gave me a really precise Z leveling. Much more precise then any printer I saw on the market. we are talking about up to 0.0008 mm precision with a 0.9 degree motor: (360/0.9=400)X3 (3 to 1 gear) 1200 click per rotation; on a 1mm per rotation 8mm rod : 1/1200 = 0.0008mm.
I can print 0.01 mm layer without problem..!

It also use a TOTALLY FIXE BED. The gantry itself move XYZUV (5 axis) **On the video I use my older version who was only XYZ.

Anyway here is the link to the last video I uploaded, and as Im writing that I am printing the last version for final testing. as soon as it work I will upload the files here.
It is a massive built, use a TON of screws and 20x40 aluminium extrusion, but it was built as a real work horse who can keep running with a broken leg. everything had been worked out, including wiring management.

***The head attachment is also a really simple belt tensioner who can be integrated in any type of head (laser/cnc...)

https://youtu.be/SblCvhL2WbY
Looks good J. Keep us updated.
The thing that worries me is that the bed with the powder itself moves . I imagine it might result in issues such as shifting metal granules at microscopic levels, thus producing a rough surface. As for laser, would it be viable to use an optic fiber and direct the light that way, instead of moving the whole assembly on top? You can try and overbuild to avoid wobbling issues, but the best solution would be to reduce the weight on top.

As for heat spots that you are getting due to changing directions, maybe there is a different profile you could use?
(01-18-2021, 01:13 AM)Montec Wrote: The thing that worries me is that the bed with the powder itself moves . I imagine it might result in issues such as shifting metal granules at microscopic levels, thus producing a rough surface. As for laser, would it be viable to use an optic fiber and direct the light that way, instead of moving the whole assembly on top? You can try and overbuild to avoid wobbling issues, but the best solution would be to reduce the weight on top.

As for heat spots that you are getting due to changing directions, maybe there is a different profile you could use?

Agree with you. The bed shifting around is only temporary. It's a bit of an expedient measure until I get a scanner up and operating. The powder is much more dense and compact than you might expect. It would be a different story if it were Aluminium.
The files are behing uploaded on github, Im still going trough testing but the frame part is functional.
Im currently running a 2 Z stack (you will understand when you check at the files) :
A precision and a speed printer.

On my precision printer, im at 600 step per mm, NOT INCLUDING software.
Including software (at a 16 microstep) im at 9600 step per mm on Z.

You think that would be precise enough for your system ?  Big Grin

Files are behing uploaded at https://github.com/rockland87/3dprinter

Check the files and let me know if you are interested. We could work together to find the perfect frame assemblie.
Im also on reddit, Rockland3dprinter.
Nice work!

I don't think I'll be pursuing Cartesian systems for long, just long enough to verify the method. 9600 steps per mm does sound great though.